Christian Book Reviews hosteb by Bring It On! communications

April 9, 2013—Hello bloggers, reviewers, and book lovers!

We know-this site is looking a little rusty. We had to set aside our book reviews for several months in 2012, but we are back and hoping that you will join us!

In the weeks to come, many new reviews will be rolling in and when they do, we will be posting them to our new site which is nearly ready to launch. You can visit us at www.TellUsTheTruthReviews.com

So....out with the old.....in with the new! Thank you for being a fan of books! We love what you have to say!

Tuesday, August 16, 2011

"I ended up wanting to take my time and soak and savor the messages God was speaking to me through Mai’s writings."

The Son In My Eyes: Seeing the Light Of Jesus In Vietnam
Review by Andie of Ours + His + Mine = Nine

Photobucket
Mai Spencer with Dixie Phillips
978-1935265665
Deep River Books
2011
$14.99

The Son in My Eyes is first and foremost a beautifully inspirational testimony of Mai Spencer’s life. I was captivated from the start by her recollections of her childhood growing up as a young Buddhist girl in Vietnam. My heart was spoken to and encouraged as the author wove the memories of her rather dramatic life into the pages of this book; stories of her poverty and struggle to provide for extended family, surviving Agent Orange exposure, the loss of children and more all unfold between its covers, yet even the tragedies can’t keep her from sharing peace, hope and the promises of God.

I loved the way scripture is fluidly included. I started out with the intention of reading this book from cover to cover in just a day or two. Instead, I ended up wanting to take my time and soak and savor the messages God was speaking to me through Mai’s writings. This book brought a sort of reawakening to my heart of the passion I once had for missions. I would be happy to read more from this author as the book truly touched me. I believe this book is a good example of “Don’t judge a book by its cover.” Coming from someone who grew up reading fiction and humor, especially science fiction or westerns this would not have been the first book I pulled from the shelf due to its peaceful, quiet beauty. Even so, The Son in My Eyes did not disappoint.

I think the back cover sums it up well when it calls this book “an amazing testimony of tragedy and loss…[which] speaks to the broken-hearted and brings hope to the hopeless...”

I recommend this book be added to your nightstand, or at least your wish list. I pray it touches your heart and leaves an impression just as it has my own.
 
"The Son in My Eyes" is available through Amazon.com and Deep River Books.


I received a complementary copy of this book to read for the review from Bring It On! Communications. All opinions are completely my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment